Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Primark / John Lewis

I was strolling through Primark yesterday, on the hunt for some shoes suitable to wear to work, when I spotted a pair of earrings that immediately reminded me of the Aztec Earrings available from Nicole Ritchie's jewellery line, House of Harlow 1960, that I had previously blogged about in November 2010. It wasn't until I got home and had a look online that I realised that they are virtually identical - albeit with one important difference - the price! Primark's version came in at a bargainous £2.00! I'm afraid to say that I snapped them up immediately, as I've had my eye on House of Harlow's for ages now, but I can't help wondering how on earth Primark are able to get away with it!



House of Harlow's Aztec Earrings - Prices start at £46.


Primark's £2.00 version.


Following on with the subject of jewellery prices, when browsing in John Lewis recently (this post is making me sound like a shop-aholic!), I spotted a brooch in a jewellery cabinet marked "Vintage Collection" with matching earrings for £75.00. What was surprising about the brooch in particular was that, only a few weeks previously, I had purchased the same brooch on Ebay for £2.50 (pictured below)! Although I didn't have the earrings to match, I think they had definitely over-priced the brooch and, to be honest, were probably taking advantage of the popular vintage trend. I've noticed several places including the word "vintage" on ranges and collections or trying to tap into the trend too by stocking retro items so a word of warning to readers would have to be to think twice about paying out for so called "vintage" items, and having a scour on popular sites such as ebay before purchasing, to see if it is indeed the treasure you believe it to be. 




No comments: