Tuesday, 2 March 2010

"Riah" Necklace...


Finally getting round to posting about my 1st commission! I designed and created this necklace for someone who had sadly had a pet recently pass away, a horse named Riah. Riah had to be put down suddenly and it was clear that it was a very loved horse as I was asked to create a necklace using one of Riah's teeth! I was asked to disguise the tooth as an unusual stone and also use other stones to "bling up" the necklace. The stone was suprisingly less difficult to work with than I'd originally expected..bar the smell!!!.. so I filed it into an oval shape then used vorax to add a shine similar to that of most cabochons. I used a smoky quartz and a citrine, which apparently symoblises joy, to bring out the natural colours of the tooth. I actually really liked the effect of the tooth as a stone as it reminded me of a shell or wood type material and had a beautiful final result! I'm very pleased with the necklace and as cheesy as it may sound, I was really proud to give someone a really sentimental gift on her 40th birthday.
I hope to do many more commissions as I really found it very rewarding. :)

3 comments:

Janice said...

You did an AMAZING job!!!!
Janice

Zoe Duthie said...

I agree, I am soooo impressed by this! well done! xx

Luchie said...

sooo creative :-)